Tuesday, April 2, 2013
Five people were hospitalized Tuesday following a major car wreck on State Road, near Seasons Road.
Updated April 2, 6:35 p.m. Five people were hospitalized after a semi collided with an SUV on State Road at about 9:30 a.m. Tuesday, according to Cuyahoga Falls Police Chief Tom Pozza. Upon collision, the semi veered off the road and slammed through Alro Steel, located at 4787 State Rd. After impact, diesel fuel began leaking from the rig and a hazardous materials team, along with the Ohio EPA, were called to the scene to clean up the fuel. "Falls Fire Capt. George Sewald said three people — including two preschool-age children — were injured in one SUV whose entire side was ripped off in the collision," according to the Akron Beacon Journal. "The children were taken to Akron Children’s Hospital with serious injuries." The driver also was …
Tuesday, March 5, 2013
The fire broke out Sunday afternoon on Grant Avenue.
No injuries were reported Sunday after a fire broke out at 607 Grant Ave. The occupants, a couple and their four children ages 2-9, fled the residence and contacted the Cuyahoga Falls Fire Department at 1:04 p.m. Firefighters quickly responded and doused the small blaze that burned primarily in the kitchen, according to Cuyahoga Falls Fire Lt. Tim Mier. According to Mier, one of the children smelled smoke and alerted their mother who called 911. A friend of the family, who was visiting at the time, attempted to extinguish the fire, but was driven out by heavy smoke. As of now, Mier hasn't pinpointed the cause, but estimated the damage at $12,000.
Wednesday, February 27, 2013
No injuries were reported after a small fire broke out in the 1900 block of Theiss Road.
The 1900 block of Theiss Road was shut down Monday morning after a small fire broke out on the roof of a nearby residence. According to Cuyahoga Falls Fire Lt. Tim Mier, a passerby reported the fire just as it started burning at about 11:30 a.m. "The fire could have burned out of control if it wasn't for that tip," said Mier. The fire was reportedly triggered by malfunctioning electrical wire that was hooked to the roof of the attached garage. Fire trucks rushed to the scene, cordoned off the street and quickly doused the fire. No one was home at the time, and no injuries were reported. Mier estimated the damage at $1,000.
Wednesday, January 30, 2013
168 people have signed up for the Feb. 1 fundraiser to help Harrison and her family who recently lost their belongings in a house fire.
Friday, January 25, 2013
Shelley Harrison, her four children and mother are fine after a fire tore through the second floor of their Third Street home. They hope to pick up the pieces with community support.
"Nothing" is a strong word to those who lost practically everything. Shelley Harrison, her four children and mother were uninjured after their house caught fire on Thursday afternoon. (Their pets, two black labs and two house cats, also survived the fire.) The blaze started in the second floor bedroom of their rental home — located at 2026 Third St. — after a candle was left unattended, said Cuyahoga Falls Fire Capt. Rob Campbell. The fire caused about $70,000 in damage, he added. The department responded to the call at about 4:30 p.m. and quickly extinguished the fire while Cuyahoga Falls police cordoned off the area and controlled the crowd of onlookers. Harrison is an employee at Firehouse Grille & Pub in Cuyahoga Falls and her work…
Tuesday, January 15, 2013
The district is working to create a safer learning environment with new security measures, but according to Dr. Todd Nichols, that does not include profiling children or creating a "list" of students who may be prone to violence.
On Jan. 6, the Cuyahoga Falls City Schools announced it would be working closely with the Falls police and fire departments to ramp up security in the district. Cuyahoga Falls City Schools Increase Security, Tighten Safety Measures The partnership translates in part to more police officers patrolling schools, additional monitoring devices and restricted access to schools while class is in session. Superintendent Dr. Todd Nichols told the Falls News Press the district would also focus on "the identification of individuals who may be at risk for violent behavior.” Given the comment, rumors circulated that Nichols intended to document the names of students who may be prone to violence. In an email to Patch on Monday, Nichols dispelled the …
Friday, December 16, 2011
A fire broke out this morning at Technicote on Marc Drive in Cuyahoga Falls. Everyone escaped without injury. Stow's Fire Department is on scene.
Have photos, video or were witness to the fire at Technicote? Email Cuyahoga Falls Patch Editor Jessica Roblin at email@example.com.