The weekend is nearly upon us and beautiful weather is expected throughout. Monday is Columbus Day, which means a three-day weekend for some of us. Get out, take advantage of the mild temperatures and bright skies.
• Are you ready for some football? It's homecoming for Woodridge High School, and the varsity football team plays East Canton on Friday at Woodridge, of course. Starting at about 7 p.m. The 3-3 Bulldogs have a good shot at notching a win over the 0-6 Hornets to make it a happy homecoming for alumni and fans of Woodridge football.
• Also on Friday is the Falls Farmers Market in the municipal parking lot at Stow Avenue and Second Street 3-6:30 p.m. The fall crop is starting to come in, and we're told the late start on this year's corn crop means a later harvest than usual. There might be some sweet corn. See story and photos from earlier this season.
• If football isn't your thing, maybe you can catch Dance Fever at the Quirk Cultural Center on Friday evening. Lessons start at 7:30 p.m. From 8:15 to 10:30 pm enjoy dancing to great music for swing, waltz, cha cha, tango, line dances and more. Admission is $10, $7 for college students and seniors with ID.
• Did you know there's a national park in our backyard? Yes, sometimes it's easy to take such an amenity as the Cuyhoga Valley National Park for granted. Get on your bike, take a hike along the towpath, drink in the fall colors. Just remember to share the trail with others – it's likely to be a popular spot this weekend. And there's the popular Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad. Through the end of October the railroad is offering a special one-way fare of $3 for Towpath bike riders. Park in Peninsula or Indigo Lake stations (or any of the others along the railroad), bike to the next train depot, catch a ride back on the railroad.
• On Sunday, the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad celebrates National Earth Science Week (well, it goes on a lot longer than that) with excursions on Wednesdays through Sundays in October and on Saturdays and Sundays in November. Fall departure times vary. Unless otherwise noted, tickets are $15 adults and $10 children ages 3 - 12 and include the Voices of the Valley audio tour. Processing fees apply to all online sales. For more information call 800-468-4070 or visit www.CVSR.com.